Micro-Nano-Bio Systems and Targeted Therapies Laboratory
The Micro-Nano-Bio Systems and Targeted Therapies Lab is grounded on a strongly interdisciplinary approach and on a cross-fertilization between mechatronics, materials science, biotechnologies and molecular biology, with the aim of developing new therapeutic systems at different scales.
In this framework, artificial and bioartificial bionic organs are targeted, made of mechatronic systems and advanced implantable materials. Biomaterials for regenerative medicine are also pursued, in synergy with the optimization of technologies for physical stimulation of cells and tissues. New flexible and scalable biohybrid machines, integrating living cells and tissues with artificial components, are also explored.
Finally, miniaturized drug delivery systems are pursued, to face cancer and other severe pathologies in a highly targeted way.
- T. Mazzocchi, L. Ricotti, N. Pinzi, A. Menciassi. Magnetically controlled endourethral artificial urinary sphincter. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. Doi: 10.1007/s10439-016-1784-2; 2016.
- A. Cafarelli, A. Verbeni, A. Poliziani, P. Dario, A. Menciassi, L. Ricotti. Tuning acoustic and mechanical properties of materials for ultrasound phantoms and smart substrates for cell cultures. Acta Biomaterialia. Doi: 10.1016/j.actbio.2016.11.049; 2016.
- V. Iacovacci, L. Ricotti, P. Dario, A. Menciassi. Design and development of a mechatronic system for noninvasive refilling of implantable artificial pancreas. IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics. 20: 1160-1169; 2015.
- L. Vannozzi, L. Ricotti, M. Cianchetti, C. Bearzi, C. Gargioli, R. Rizzi, P. Dario, A. Menciassi. Self-assembly of polydimethylsiloxane structures from 2D to 3D for bio-hybrid actuation. Bioinspiration & Biomimetics. 10: 056001; 2015.
- V. Iacovacci, G. Lucarini, L. Ricotti, P. Dario, P. Dupont, A. Menciassi. Untethered magnetic millirobot for targeted drug delivery. Biomedical Microdevices. 17(3): 9962; 2015.
- L. Ricotti, A. Cafarelli, V. Iacovacci, L. Vannozzi, A. Menciassi. Advanced micro-nano-bio systems for future targeted therapies. Current Nanoscience. 11(2): 144-160; 2015.
- L. Ricotti, T. Fujie, H. Vazão, G. Ciofani, R. Marotta, R. Brescia, C. Filippeschi, I. Corradini, M. Matteoli, V. Mattoli, L. Ferreira, A. Menciassi. Boron nitride nanotube-mediated stimulation of cell co-culture on micro-engineered hydrogels. PLoS ONE. 8: e71707; 2013.
- L. Ricotti, A. Menciassi. Engineering stem cells for future medicine. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 60: 727-734; 2013.