Health Systems Through Crisis And Recovery
The Course is intended for the following main recipients: the Course focuses on health issues, but it is open to professionals from other disciplines.
Millions of people do not have access to health care, because health systems in many countries are either non-existent or dramatically failing. Most of them live in areas chronically affected by violent conflict or slowly re-emerging from it.
The volatility and complexity of conflict and post-conflict contexts pose daunting challenges to health workers – both national and international – who are called to rehabilitate derelict health structures. Lack of properly prepared professionals in this field has often resulted in reconstruction efforts characterized by weak analysis, little understanding, inadequate planning and poor implementation. This training programme intends to alleviate this gap.
The Course, held for the first time in 2005, has evolved substantially since then. It is actively kept in progress, by constantly updating its contents, introducing new study topics and materials, and inviting new experienced lecturers. The Course programme maintains a degree of flexibility to discuss in detail topics of particular interest to participants.
• Introduce and engage participants in a critical analysis of conflict-ridden contexts and of the health services available in this kind of scenarios;
• Analyse and reflect upon the challenges and difficulties faced in producing and supplying health services in countries experiencing a conflict or recovering from one;
• Identify and discuss the main features and distortions of health services during chronic conflicts or recovery processes;
• Introduce participants to reconstruction processes, to the main challenges they pose and to the opportunities they provide to correct long-standing distortions and create health systems that are more efficient and fair;
• Introduce participants to the existing literature in these areas and stimulate their interest in conducting
- 1.500,00 Euros for participants sponsored by any organization or by their employer;
- 1.200,00 Euros for self-sponsored participants;
and includes attendance of all the lessons, the teaching material and the lunch on class days at the canteen
An early bird discount is reserved for candidates applying before the 18th of January 2021. For early birds, the course fee is:
- 1.000,00 Euros for participants sponsored by any organization or by their employer;
- 800,00 Euros for self-sponsored participants.
The whole Course is practice-oriented and constant references will be made to real-life scenarios. Many of the approaches proposed will be tested in practical exercises. Ample space will be devoted to testimonies and considerations drawn from on the personal experience of trainers and participants.
At the end of the Course the Sant’Anna School will issue a certificate of attendance to the students who attended at least 80% of the lessons, and passed the assessment tests foreseen.